Skip to main content

Reply to "Help! Long-haired pitcher son can't keep hat on"

I have no problem with old school coaches.  I don't mind if they make him trim his hair, and I would actually prefer that.

On the other hand, it's not hard to look around and see that scruffy players are everywhere, MLB and Ivy League included.   Perhaps if you're a borderline player and you're hoping for admission to Ultraconservative U., it's a good idea to stay trim just in case.  When it comes down to it for the vast majority of pro and college coaches, though, a hairstyle isn't a big enough distraction to reject a top recruit.  Otherwise, let's start telling guys like Tom Brady, David Beckham, and Henrik Lundqvist they should've learned to stop posing for the ladies and start playing ball.  Actually, I guess Henrik Lundqvist doesn't need to play ball.

As I've suggested previously, my kid's hair doesn't make him look like he's bohemian or transgender.  He's just scruffy.  He doesn't look that much different from most kids out there.  He likes it that way.  Whatever. 

Bishop:  Definitely a good point about the rhythm, and that's another point I'll pass on to him, too.

Last edited by bjer