Skip to main content

Reply to "Help! Long-haired pitcher son can't keep hat on"

bjer posted:

Okay, this is getting ridiculous.  My LHP 15u kid's been letting his hair grow all summer.  I'm cool with it, even though it looks like a mop.  Whatever.  Let him be his own guy, I say.  I personally sported New Wave hair in high school.  It's time to grow up soon enough.

What does bother me, though, is that nearly every single pitch, no exaggeration, his hat flies off his head.  Then he picks it up off the ground, whips his Absalom locks back into place, and replaces his hat.  On to the next pitch.  Repeat.

Personally I love the clean-shaven, tidily barbered look of the Yankees.  But knowing I can't sway my kid's opinion on this matter with talks of professionalism and respect for the game, I'm looking for solutions.  

Have any of you experienced the same problem, and found a solution?  At first he suggested he would turn the back of the hat up to help tighten it.  But either he forgets, or it doesn't work.  I've thought about getting an elastic band sewn inside his hat.  I've also wondered about making him wear one those skull caps you always see the NFL guys wearing on the sidelines.  On occasion, I've thought of making him borrow bobby pins or ribbons from his sister.  Anything that keeps that hat on.

We've got a game in front of lots of scouts next weekend, and I hope to avoid the distraction of the hair show.  Any suggestions are appreciated!

BJER - your post reminded me of my son (now 25) when he was about that age (14-15).   At the time he had hair not quite down to his shoulders.   Wife called it the "surfer dude" look - his hair was sort of blondish and in all honesty he did look like he'd be more comfortable on a surf board than a baseball field.   He did pitch from time to time, but I don't remember his hat constantly falling off when he pitched so I can't help you there.  I tried to find a pic of him at that time, could not find one.

A few weeks after making the Varsity squad as a sophomore, his hair was considerably shorter.   I don't recall if the coach ever said anything to him or had a rule about hair length, but I found it interesting that he got it cut that short (almost military).

Here's a high school pic (he's in the middle of the back row - #12)

Junior College:

D2 University (Regional Playoffs):

Attachments

Images (3)
  • blobid0
  • blobid1
  • blobid2