Skip to main content

Reply to "Help! Long-haired pitcher son can't keep hat on"

cabbagedad posted:
PitchingFan posted:

I would agree with vast majority.  There are very few programs that I have seen other than military schools that REQUIRE short hair and clean shaven.  I like it but again not worth fighting over. 

OK, Pitchingfan and BJER, for the sake of fun debate....

Thought I'd have some fun with this and do a little test... I wanted to pick something middle-of-the-road, something that should be fairly typical and likely representative of the whole.  So, I picked a mid level D1 conference, not too high or low on academic focus, not too far West or East, not ultra-conservative or ultra-liberal, and one I happen to have particular new interest in .  I give to you the Mid-American Conference....

I looked at each of the ten school baseball rosters via "list view" that shows head shots of each player for 2019.  8 of the 10 schools have ZERO players or coaches with hair longer than the neck lines of the jerseys.  The vast majority of those players are either completely clean shaven or have very well trimmed facial hair.  The other two schools have two players and three players respectively with hair longer than the neck line and four of those five, the hair is just barely to the neckline.  Again, the majority are clean shaven or well groomed and short on facial hair.  

You mean to tell me over 300 20ish year olds are all deciding on their own to keep themselves that clean cut with no influence from the program HC???  Look at the team shots.  Come on, really? 

To be honest, I was surprised to see it that far to the extreme of clean cut across the board.  This is the reality of college baseball today... right there in front of you, plain as black & white... or color, rather 

Yes, of course, there are countless exceptions.  But there are certainly plenty of coaches and programs who do have some influence/guidelines with regard to long hair.  To bring that back around, I'm sure that those coaches would prefer seeing HS recruits looking like future college players than not.

You got me thinking and looked at UT where son is going.  There is only one in roster pics that has long hair and none really with facial hair.  BUT by playoffs the coach had a full beard and doesn't even look like the same guy and his hair is longer.  There were 7 with long hair and facial hair at the end.  Don't get me wrong.  I wish mine would cut his hair and I was hoping UT would make him cut it but neither seem to be going to happen.  I also agree that some coaches make them tuck it behind or put it in a band for team pics.  If that is his worst problem, I will count my blessings.  I went back and looked at the photos from the College world Series.  The %'s change drastically from beginning of season to the end of season so I wonder if some coaches have a rule that says you have to start with this but if we are winning I don't care.

The Royals made their players, summer scout team, have hair that did not touch ears or collar all summer long but got a little lenient in the fall.  No facial hair at the beginning of the summer.