Skip to main content

Reply to "Help on how to handle a situation"

@BB and BB posted:

The other CF did not perform well this season.  My issue is why don't you  promote and highlight  your premier top players.  If you had a 1st team all conference SS you wouldn't play him at 2B or 1B.  Not only would you be doing the team a disservice, you are doing the student athlete a disservice.  Give your best player the prestige position.  We have a catcher who was also 1st team all conference.  Why not play him at 3rd?  He can field ground balls and make the long throw.  We have another catcher.  It doesn't make sense.

My son was a first team all conference shortstop soph year. His junior year two players were competing for the one starting spot. One was a shortstop. One was an outfielder. My son was told if the shortstop won the job he would be moved to center. He was. He became a first team all conference outfielder. The shortstop didn’t make all conference at any level that year. The new shortstop made more errors than my son would have made in his nightmares.

The team won its first conference title in twenty years, made it through districts and went to states for the first time in thirty years. They repeated winning the conference the next year. It was the first time they ever won back to back. You do what is best for the team.

Wait until college ball if you want to play a serious game of “what is that guy doing there?” After a solid freshman year, making the All Freshman team and hitting .300 he returned in the fall to find a junior JuCo All American at his position. My son was moved to another position. He was moved to another position the following year. None of it had anything to do with his ability or lack of it. It was about his versatility and what was best for the team.

Is the real issue your right to pound your chest and brag your son plays an elite position?  My son’s high school team had three travel ball center fielders. They ran 6.5, 6,6 and 6.8 sixties. Only one could play center on the high school team except when the #1 center fielder pitched.

Last edited by RJM