Skip to main content

Reply to "Help with coaching dilemma please..."

quote:
Originally posted by RobV:
quote:
Originally posted by Judy:
Both the pitching coaches son has worked with (one in MA and one in NC)have been more concerned with form/location vs. velo.

Form over function. Roll Eyes

IMO herein lies a huge problem with a lot of "coaches" these days. They are more concerned with what "looks pretty" rather than how to develop high level throwing ability.

Carry on...

I agree.
I would find out what the p coaches goal is for your son, and why not work on hitting spots AND velocity. He's 16 already and his velocity should be measured, do you know his velocity?
I think that there are many p coches out there that have no clue how to help develop velocity for both LHP and RHP.

I was at a game this weekend, two top 25 teams and the velo was kind of low for everyone, even with the gun being 3 mph off. You won't see higher velo # until the weather warms up and the pitcher finds his groove.

FWIW, at many of son's college games we saw lower velo in the mid majors, and even lost by a few games due to it, but overall, good hitters adjust after a few innings and the wins were rare. Most of the lower velo pitchers also relied more on their breaking stuff.