Skip to main content

Reply to "Help with mental game."

Thanks for all the help I have recieved so far it has been helpful,

Nate, your college teammate in your article "Shutting Your Brain Down" is exactly how I am minus his temper.
quote:
This kid would strike out and take it so heavy that he would storm back to the dugout throwing his helmet on the way. Afterward, we’d sometimes chat out in the field while we were shagging balls. He’d say, ‘Nate, what’s going on with my swing? Why am I not making contact?” I’d usually respond with a couple small things I could see and he’d tell me thanks and off he’d go. Then I’d see him working later on some of the things we had talked about; except it looked weird and overly-mechanical when he did it. Now that I look back it was clear that he was spending so much mental energy THINKING about the mechanics problems he was having that he failed to really let his body remember how the movements were supposed to be. Therefore, his muscle memory always took a back seat to his brain

So what I now believe I need to do is: change my negative self talk therefore improving my confidence, relax and not paralyze myself through my thoughts, and work on my beathing techniques.

Btw, Is it normal to obsess over baseball and my performance in general. It's like constantly on my mind, I'm guessing thats part of the problem.
Last edited by jakewestphal