Skip to main content

Reply to "Help with perspective, please...."

I would say that there is some truth to that, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

There's a kid out of my son's HS who is a LHP and garnered little to no interest beyond HS.  He pitched JV as a Fr & So and didn't make the team as  Jr (he was caught with beer on a Saturday night by cops, so coach cut him as a Jr).  He did make Varsity as a Sr and threw limited innings (4.1 out of a total 189 innings pitched by the team).

He put together a video and played with his summer team, still no solid opportunities or offers.  Out of the blue he gets a call from a JC coach in California who offers him a position on the team.  Completely based on him finding and watching his video.  Coach had never seen or met him in person.  He had a bit of a roller coaster Freshman year on the mound in '15, but has put in work in the offseason, added some weight and had a good fall.  He's talking with and getting interest from several Florida teams (D2 & D3) where he hopes to land a spot for the '17 season.

So it can and is done, but I would suspect that it would mostly be smaller schools with little to no budget to recruit outside of a very short radius.

Given the work I know you've already done with him, I'd add a good video to the toolbox you're already putting together, but wouldn't hang all his hopes on a video.