Skip to main content

Reply to "Here we go again FB velocity CWS"

2019Dad posted:

I don't know if it's tracked in college, but in MLB, velocity generally climbs as the season goes on -- lower in April, higher in August. For example: https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/...hly-velocity-trends/

It seems strange to me that it would be the opposite in college. Particularly when you factor in the intensity of a playoff atmosphere.

I would assume that is mostly due to these kids being in HS 2/3 years ago getting 40-50 innings a season. Most of which are against far inferior competition -kids who can't catch up to 87 or more importantly, kids who can't really do a ton of damage. In college you have to go thru longer seasons of learning how to pitch to real hitters where every batter can hit and most are a threat in any count/situation. 

I think by the time these guys climb thru all the levels of the minors they have their throwing routines and preparation down to a science. Knowing when to peak and when to coast. Love playoff games where starters who were mostly 94-95 crank it up to 99 in the middle innings.