Skip to main content

Reply to "Here's One of Interest ??"

Dad04,
Maybe LSU would have been a better example. I’m not endorsing LSU’s recruiting but they would be a better example to justify “over recruiting”. LSU has always been criticized for their stockpiling and over recruiting. Here is their news release about their 11 signees:
BATON ROUGE -- LSU is ranked No. 5 in the annual Collegiate Baseball magazine poll of the nation's top recruiting classes. South Carolina is No. 1 in the rankings, followed by Arizona State, Texas, Vanderbilt and LSU.
LSU, which was No. 1 in the recruiting poll last season, has finished among the top six in the country in each of the past six years. The Tigers' 2005 class includes seven freshmen, three junior college transfers and one four-year college transfer.

I read Coach Cohen’s news release about the quality of his recruiting class but neither Collegiate Baseball magazine nor Baseball America substantiates his claims.
The Kentucky baseball team signed its best recruiting class in years this signing period by adding 17 talented players to the fold for the 2007 season.
“This is the best class we’ve signed since we’ve been here,” said Kentucky head coach John Cohen, who saw his 2004 class ranked among the top 25 in the nation. “It is a very high caliber class, but I’m sure the major league draft will be a factor in June as always. However, to win in the SEC, you have to recruit these types of players.”

I know Coach Cohen released several players when he came to KY. That destructive move didn’t seem to improve their W-L record. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what his “over recruiting” does.