Skip to main content

Reply to "Here's One of Interest ??"

quote:
I know Coach Cohen released several players when he came to KY. That destructive move didn’t seem to improve their W-L record. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what his “over recruiting” does.

Of course Cohen came from Gainesville where last spring I counted 6 catchers for this year. Yet Coach McMahon is a hero with a CWS silver medal.

I guess my sons school could be a case (of some sort) in point. They signed big classes of 2004 and 2005 kids, 12 and 14 respectively, but they had 6 juniors and 16 seniors last year. They signed just 4 this year as they are a relatively young team now. They always have a bunch of red shirts though, usually more than 10.

The kids (mostly local) know the situation before they get there though with most chosing that over playing sooner elsewhere.

The bottom line is that from what I've seen and heard, most kids are trying out after they commit and enroll in school. I'm not sure how that is modified to minimize the destructive impact it has. Jr. related he felt sorry for a redshirt freshman teamate that got cut last week.

I would love for each kid to get to school and work his way to a starting spot sooner than later. the reality is that state schools with tuition reembursement frm the state, everyone in-state has all ar nearly all tuition paid, making the financial commitment for that year very minor to the in state kid.

Why don't some kids work out? Sometimes the coach is just wrong about the kid. Coaches are human and make mistakes. Sometimes the kid just has a bad fall. At each school there is usually natural atrition due to emotional, academic and other factors off the field that lower the numbers from fall to spring. We are living that. Jr's roomie, a highly recruited Texas LHP up and went home for good one day last month. I woulda been nice if he paid the rent though. Eek

BTW Tennessee's tail has been for kickin' this fall, ain't it? A guy on ESPN called Fulmers year "the worst job of coaching in the country this year."
Last edited by Dad04