Skip to main content

Reply to "Here's One of Interest ??"

quote:
The bottom line is that from what I've seen and heard, most kids are trying out after they commit and enroll in school. I'm not sure how that is modified to minimize the destructive impact it has. Jr. related he felt sorry for a redshirt freshman teamate that got cut last week.

My feelings about this subject have changed since my son has started school and all that I have read on this site. Basically, I have come to similar conclusions as Dad04. When my son was recruited, they said things would be wide open if the kid ahead of him was drafted which he was. It was very wide open with them trying out about 6 players for the position. My son was the only freshman of the lot where the other kids were 20 or 21 year old players.

It is a cruel world out there. It is all about competition. I think that is one of my son's strongest assets is he loves to compete. Well, he got exactly what he was looking for then Smile

The destructive nature (of over-recruiting) can be mitgated somewhat if you are the type that is h-e-l-l-bent on playing somewhere, will stop at nothing to succeed, and willing to live with the consequences if things don't work out. In other words, a willingness to compete your b-utt off and let the chips fall where they may.