Skip to main content

Reply to "Heres to You Mr High School Baseball Watcher!"

My Dad is 84 and he and my Mom are regulars at HS and league ball games.  They always sit behind the backstop and are very quiet and polite.  After a particularly horrible out call when the catcher dropped the ball during a tag on the go ahead run the home plate umpire ran toward third incase there was a play as the catcher searched everywhere to find the ball.  The screams from coaches and fans trying to gain the umpires attention reached a fever pitch and since no play ensued at third eventually the umpire returned to home as the catcher now with the ball in his hand tossed it back to the pitcher.  The coaches asked to talk and after a few minutes of explaining to the umpire the Umpire signaled out again.  The stands erupted as my father sat calmly not saying a word.  As play began to resumed the umpire had finally had his fill and turned to the stands and pointed a finger at everyone saying "I have heard enough" to which my Dad calmly replied..."You may have heard enough but you saw far too little"  In 84 years it was the first time my Dad was ever tossed from a sporting event.  He and my 86 year old mother calmly gathered their belongings and began the walk to the car to the cheers of both home and visiting fans.