Skip to main content

Reply to "Heres to You Mr High School Baseball Watcher!"

As a player I have seen the group of LF line dads change, as well as their roles change from LL to HS ball. Here's the lineup of guys we have down the LF line at my HS:

1. The Relief Pitcher Bullpen Warmup Watcher/Evaluater:
This is a dad that stands right behind the bullpen backstop to get the inside scoop on how Lefty's curveball looks today. He also manages to completely distract him from getting his warmups done right.

2. "Right/Don't You Think/Are you following me/Am I seeing this right" Guy:
Another dad who always looks for approval with every comment he makes throughout the game because it's plainly obvious that he can't even dress himself in the morning without feedback from someone else.

3. "Senior Backup Catcher's Dad" Guy:
Just along for one more ride and loves to soak everything in.

4. "News I picked up today from other teams in the league" Guy:
He seems to have more connections than Peter Gammons.

5. 2 dads who think their kids are big stuff because they made varsity so they feel like they need to make appearances down the line even though they have no real value to the function of the operation and their kids ride the pine.

6. Stud 8th grader's dad who will be on varsity next year, but still never misses a game. Likes to soak things in.

7. One former All Star coach, and one former travel coach who coached the core of these kids growing up. These guys have the bulk of the actually decent insight.

8. AND FINALLY... maybe the most important man mentioned on this thread... "The Man":

This is the man's last hoorah, his kid is going to play college ball. The man is the oldest in the group because this is his last kid to go through the school. The man is the staple of the group. He has locked down the group for years now, watching his older boys. Others have come and gone, but the man remains. He knows the most, yet he only speaks when spoken to. He is an observer, not a rah-rah guy. Everyone else in the group look to him for approval when they question calls, coaching moves, AB's, whatever. Everything is run by the man. The players say hi to him before every game. He is friendly enough, but doesn't joke and never smiles. Everyone knows he is in his heaven.