Skip to main content

Reply to "High Academic minimum requirements"

tequila posted:
KLL posted:

Do those kids that get in with the lower scores get enough tutoring help to be able to keep their grades up since they’re in classes geared towards the more academically gifted students or is it a constant struggle to remain eligible and obtain a degree?

Good input on responses to this question so far but I thought I'd add my two cents. My 2019 had 3.6 GPA (with a rigorous schedule), a 31 ACT and, after touring Kenyon, Case, Middlebury, Trinity, Wesleyan, and Tufts, made a comment to me that he didn't want to be the "dumbest" one on campus. I thought that was interesting and a pretty good point, though he likely could have gotten in the door to most of these. I was in that boat at his age, having barely gotten into my #1 school of choice, and it was a rude awakening once I got there. These schools ended up all being well out of our price having not qualified for any need-based financial aid, and merit awards coming in at the most basic level, so the problem took care of itself and he's now bound for what I would call a tier down from these academically but still playing baseball at a very good school in a top D3 conference.

I think this raises an important issue (and is another factor that will vary for different individuals).  I see elite college admissions as having so many back and side doors that no one should feel they don't belong if their test scores or grades are a little low; but I get it.  Choosing a school where you don't feel comfortable just because that school is "better" according to some ranking or other isn't necessarily a good idea.  (I also have seen kids who were the biggest academic fish in their HS ponds have a really hard time coping with being ordinary, or worse, students at a very selective college.  The world is larger than most of realize in high school...)