Skip to main content

Reply to "High Academic minimum requirements"

Re Chico's question about the deadlines, yes my 2017 got a few of those exploding offers from D3s when he was being considered as a catcher (he was a two-way and wound up as a PO in college). 

One coach was pretty honest about it and did not do the really hard sell--just said he only had room to add one catcher so if one of them goes Early Decision, they would have the slot.  Then my son could be considered among the pitchers.  I get that--a team can only have so many catchers. 

But another coach was really egotistical about it acting as if he could not understand why my son would not go ED if he wanted him on the roster.  I played bad cop and told every coach until my son heard from the UC schools, he was not making any decision about private schools that are $50K and up.  Most I would say were pretty realistic and would admit there were a number of kids where there was mutual interest but all things being equal, they would prefer my son, so please keep in touch.

The D3s are in a really tough situation in most cases for kids who do not qualify for need-based assistance.  Some of the HAs have no academic money to offer, so it is really hard to recruit when you have to tell a kid and his parents that it will be well over $200K if you want to play baseball here for 4 years. The coach at one SoCal HA admitted his team is made up entirely of really well-off kids who could afford the full tuition and then some low income kids paying almost nothing.  No players in between because of the lack of athletic and academic money.  Sad but true reality at many of these HA D3s.