Skip to main content

Reply to "High Academic minimum requirements"

Either is perfectly fine as far as HA (or any) colleges are concerned.

My math/science kid did better on the ACT, the other did fine on the SAT and didn't take the ACT.  I think it's an individual thing; if you're concerned about the score, do both.  If you're not concerned, don't waste the time and money.

I think "don't waste the time and money" is a useful comment, though I know some here would disagree with it.  My '22 slogs through these tests. Utterly hates them.  He's smart but he's not quick.  We're not submitting anything, especially now that he can't even get into an ACT test until fall.

This mystery remains, however: two kids, identical record (for the sake of argument), applying to the same HA school, whose GPA and rigor put them both at the 50th percentile as far as the admissions office is concerned. Johnny Smartypants has a superlative SAT/ACT score, while my son doesn't submit a score at all.  Does the admissions nod go to Johnny? Admissions offices are saying if it does go to Johnny, it won't be because my kid doesn't submit a score.

Caveat emptor, I say.  

But I'm gonna be royally beside myself if that ends up being why Johnny gets in and my kid doesn't.  Since I will never know, if my son isn't admitted, I'm going to assume the worst. Practicing my sulky, angry face already.