Skip to main content

Reply to "High Academic -- SAT/ACT and Timing?"

Over the years, I've helped quite a few folks with Ivy and High Academic baseball recruiting not to mention been through the gauntlet with my own son a few years ago.  Here is my read on the GPA/ACT/SAT/academic rigor question that has come up.....first, it is all relative to the recruits baseball skills.  Second, the coach is only going to have so much (quantifiable) equity with the Admissions committee every year.  In other words, he can only advocate for a couple impact players with lower GPAs/SATs/academic rigor per year.  For the non-impact recruit it is advisable and assumed your son has outstanding SAT/ACT scores, incredibly rigorous courses and a high GPA in those rigorous courses...these are a given.  Not only is the potential recruit competing for admissions/recruitment among other baseball players (based on ACT/SAT & baseball skills), the Admissions committee is looking at the potential recruit in the context of the general student population (previously mentioned AI).  By far, the single most common dynamic that trips up a potential Ivy or high academic baseball recruit is not high enough SAT or ACT score.  It isn't even close with the other dynamics mentioned assuming the recruit is at the right baseball talent level.  So, understanding your baseball skills, demand & goals becomes real important as a potential Ivy or high academic recruit and parent begin to think about when to take the SAT and ACT and hope to score high enough.  JMO

Last edited by fenwaysouth