Skip to main content

Reply to "High Academic walk vs. Post Grad?"

OliveH posted:

anybody have any advice input for player trying to considering between being a recruited walk on at high academic D1,  with coaches help cleared admissions.    Or possibly doing a Post Grad year,   is young for class, growing.    grades scores very good,  not super.   has passed pre reads at multiple high academics

Just re-read your OP; here's another thought.  HA recruitment, especially if they've already made offers, can go south real quick if there's any whiff of uncertainty in the air.  

I equate HA recruitment to a Quentin Tarantino Mexican Standoff scene.  Where six guys each have their guns pointed at someone, and everyone is just waiting for someone to pull a trigger.  Inevitably all it takes is for someone to sneeze and they're all dead.

HA recruiters I know, don't like sudden changes of plans by a recruit they've already clearly offered, as you cite.  HA recruiting is a VERY precise business.  Like highly precise.  And any deviation from the script, not even a negative one, can set HA RCs into a panic.  I'd say most of the HA schools son had interest from as a HS sophomore went cold when he told them he'd be spending HS Junior year abroad in Europe; something HA AO (Admissions Office) love. And this was before any pre-reads.  They don't like changes to your portfolio, especially if they've already taken the time with AO to get you pre-reads?  Something about this does not seem kosher.  I'm not suggesting you are not being forthright, just that if you have offers in hand already (RWOs etc.) I can't imagine any RC  and/or AO is going to let you take a "rain check" on the current admissions class, and carry it over to next year.  The pre-read process is a lot of work for all parties, especially at HAs.  AOs don't like it when they go through the process to find that the kid wasn't serious about attending their school in first place.  That's equity lost by RC with his AO.  

I'd cash what you have now, especially if they're already the HAs you see yourself at in 365 days anyway.  

Again, unless you just want an extra year of HS at a HA prep school just for the sake of learning in an incredibly stimulating environment.  Which it would be.  

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach