Skip to main content

Reply to "High Academic walk vs. Post Grad?"

RJM posted:

Billion dollar endowment? Sounds like PA. I know of a bunch of athletes who went there as PG’s. They did very well academically at mediocre high schools. The high academics recruiting them wanted to see them succeed in a more demanding academic environment before college. Plus it’s theoretically a red shirt year without starting the NCAA “five to play four” clock. 

I went to Brooks in North Andover freshman year. I fit academically. As a jock, public school kid I didn’t fit socially with (Of course I only stay at The Plaza when I’m in Manhattan and we summer in The Hamptons) boarders. My high school was grades 10-12. Being at a Class B NEPSAC allowed me to play varsity sports freshman year. I went back to my school district’s high school soph year.

Times have changed RJM.  These schools not looking for the Hamptons/Plaza set any more.    Actually may work against you if you flaunt that style.   The endowments at these schools allow for the socio-economic diversity and inclusive policies they espouse.  Not many “strings” left for the Hamptons crowd to pull in admissions.   Do those kids still exist there?  Sure.  Are they the visible and accepted norm?  I'd say not. 

Brave new world.

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach