Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Baseball"

Stats4Gnats posted:

kandkfunk posted:

…Although my husband is making the calls, he's being informed by the scouting reports the team has on the opposing batters….

If you could, would you post one of those scouting reports?

I don't, because although my husband is a coach, I am also a mom of a player and that is my first role. My job is not to coach or in any way be a part of that side of the team.

We do have people that scout teams ahead of time. Sometimes it's the coaches themselves, if we don't have a game when an upcoming team does, and sometimes it's other people the coaches trust. They also have their historical knowledge of players from previous years. There may be a couple kids on a roster that the coaches aren't familiar with, but most of the varsity kids are there for 2, 3 or 4 years, plus summer ball, so the coaches develop a lot of info on a player over time. We also play 2-3 game series with every team and all games are in a row. By the Friday game, the coaches have a lot of data on each hitter. We have an assistant coach sitting next to the coach calling pitches with all the charts and information. The coach calls the pitch. Not a big deal and not any different than any other varsity team I've ever encountered. We have one pitcher that can call his own game, but it is definitely the pitcher calling the game and not the catcher. The catcher will call a pitch and the pitcher will shake him off until he gets the signal he wants. It takes just as long as the coach calling the game.

Now, the pitchers being able to hit the called pitch is a whole other issue and will be an issue regardless of who is calling the pitches.