Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Baseball"

Steve A. posted:
ironhorse posted:

If 95% of amateur baseball calls pitches (meaning HS and college really), and 99% of amateur football calls plays (meaning HS and college really), are 95-99% of all coaches simply fueled by ego?

That's ignorant.

I guess you need to pick up the phone & call Billy Wagner & tell him he is ignorant. Surely your wisdom is superior to this guy who was the best. Further, comparing a Football QB & a Pitcher in terms of play calling vs pitch selection is like Apples & Oranges. Not even close to a similar dynamic. The Pitcher / Hitter dynamic is an individual battle. The critical components on the pitchers end of it are confidence, a feel for the particular pitch on a given day, all of his combined experience in reading a hitters reaction / swing & having a plan of attack.

Simply nodding your head to some coach who probably could not play a lick back in the day is not the way to grow as a player. You are displaying a clear lack of understanding & obviously have never been on the mound in any meaningful capacity.

If you could link to the interview, and Billy Wagner actually said that HS coaches call pitches solely because of ego, then yes I would call him ignorant. 

How Wagner's stellar pro career, or whatever minor league career you had, have any impact on my opinion of how to develop pitchers or catchers is something I don't quite follow. I have known a lot of pro ball guys that are crappy coaches. Some are good, no doubt. But being on the mound for a big moment in Scranton-WIlkes Barre on bobblehead night doesn't really give you all the insight you'll ever need of how to teach a growing catcher. 

You obviously are too close minded to have a real discussion about this. Not sure why its so personal to you. More than one way to teach baseball I think. You keep coaching up your 13 year olds the way you want to, and I'll run my program the way I want to.