Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Baseball"

ironhorse posted:
Stats4Gnats posted:

Kandkfunk,

I agree most HS teams will scout some teams ahead of time, but I’ve never seen or heard of it for ALL opponents. If the schools in your area have the staff and capability to do it, I think it’s great.

You said you play 2-3 game series with every team. That’s a lot different than it is here or most other places I’m familiar with. The only teams we play more than once a season, other than the spring tournament or the playoffs, are league opponents.

I honestly don’t see how it takes just as long for the battery to call pitches as it does for them to be sent in from the dugout. It’s not as though most HS pitchers have a huge repertoire of pitches to choose from, but perhaps the kid you’re talking about does.

The issue really boils down to the philosophy of the HC because there’s no way to prove either side of the argument other than to change philosophies and compare them. Having been a catcher and having had a son who pitched under both philosophies, I can say without question that the game is more fun, success more satisfying, and development stronger for those who don’t get pitches called from the dugout. Whether or not that equates to winning is something different though.

1. All is a big word. We don't scout non-district games. But district we'll scout every team (except for the 1 that simply isn't competitive) before the first time we play them. We play everyone twice. 

2. Sign from coach is given very quickly, usually as the hitter has foot out of the box or 3b coach is giving signs. So the extra time spent by the defense is fairly minuscule.

We're much like Ironhorse describes. I never said we scouted ALL teams. That was your word Stats.  We don't generally scout non-district games, but we don't have a lot of those - maybe 5.  We see the same kids throughout the year from Spring to summer baseball. It's not really hard to gather data over the course of time. I'm honestly not sure what is so controversial about that.

I'm not hear to argue either way. It's not my call and I have no preference. Someone asked a question. I answered with my experience and what I see in every single varsity game. Some people just like to argue and point out why everyone else is wrong. So be it.