Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Baseball"

ironhorse posted:

I never get why this is such a "hot button" for people. Why do they think a HS kid should be calling games? I've had 2 catchers go D1 the past few years, and never did a coach asked if they called their own game. If a college catcher can receive and rake, I don't see him dropping 15 rounds based on the fact his coaches called the game.

I'm not sure anyone cares as much as message boards.

I can't speak for anyone else.  I wanted to teach my catchers how to call a game because I thought that was my responsibility as a coach.  I view it no differently than teaching the various pivots for 2B and SS on a double play.  I never wanted to have a player of mine graduate thinking that I didn't take the time to really teach them the game of baseball. 

Example for yesterday.  We were playing in our Regional game yesterday and the opponent had a runner on 2B signaling location.  My catcher walked out in front of the plate, stuck her hand into the front of her face mask and moved it back and forth as if saying "no" but not moving her head.  That is a signal that her set up does not matter.  The pitcher will now throw to locations off of her body like off of either ear or top of either shin guard.   Pitcher now reads signal of 3 signs with second sign being location regardless of where catcher sets up.  She set up slightly outside and pitcher busted inside rise for a soft popup to first.  Out of the inning and we were all laughing in the dugout.