Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Baseball"

This will be my last on this subject (well, maybe not). My main objective & opinion here was to suggest that THE PITCHER, at (pick a level) should have the option to shake a pitch & throw his own game. This opinion has clearly met major resistance. In my opinion, the resistance has more to do with the ego of the coach calling the pitches that any other factor. You can pretend it's about winning & on & on but the truth of it is often there is more than 1 pitch that will work in a given scenario if executed properly, with conviction, by the pitcher who had an idea on the pitch before the fingers went down. You could take the 2 best HS Coaches in the Country & have them call a game with the same pitcher & scouting information & the calls would likely be much different. That's it.

My simple, basic philosophy has somehow now developed into my supposed belief that HS Quarterbacks should call their own plays, Freshman Catchers should call all of the pitches in a Varsity Game. The players should be in charge of their own shifts, hit & runs, steals, bunts. I never suggested any of that. Although letting the catcher call em in soft scenarios or small doses will definitely pay dividends down the road for both him & your program. You would then have to coach him up more & discuss the results & selections.

Call your pitches all you want. Steer the ship all you want. Trust your pitcher to shake & throw his own & you will be surprised. If he gives up a rocket, get over yourself. You have called a ton of pitches that went into orbit also. It's the kids game & he will own the result way more than you will.