Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Baseball"

CaCO3Girl posted:

As you all know my kid is just entering 9th, so I have no knowledge of HS baseball, HOWEVER, I have a lot of knowledge of 9u-14u baseball and I can backup this statement.  I don't know how to phrase it but it's almost like the most knowledgeable coaches in youth baseball don't want to share their knowledge with an 11u kid, or a 13u kid because they don't want to take the time to explain it.  These kids aren't learning the game, they are learning to follow orders. 

I have seen a 14u pitcher pulled because he shook off ONE pitch the coach called in the third inning, the coach was furious, rather than calling time and talking to the pitcher about his choice or waiting until the inning was over the pitcher was pulled and replaced with a kid who wasn't even warmed up...doesn't sound like development. My son was a 12u 5'8, 130# player who was in 7th grade and needed a new bat in May (so he was almost an 8th grader), he asked the coach if it was okay if he got a drop 5 as opposed to a drop 10, coach said absolutely not, I want you swinging the lightest bat you are allowed to swing, again, that doesn't sound like development. 

Kids right now, for SOME coaches, seem to be learning to be automatons...don't ask questions just do what you are told.  Not sure how they are actually LEARNING the game with coaches acting like that.

CaCo, Amen sister! Seen way too much of it. These coaches are chasing the plastic trophy as a monument to themselves under the shield of "winning" & putting development secondary. My kid has a closet full of these trinkets, medallions & plastic statues. At the time of the event, it was the most important thing in the world. Two days later nobody really cares.

This is why when Ironhorse & 2079 get these kids in HS they are reluctant to trust them to call the shots. I get that. Somebody has to step up at some point & teach the game & let these kids make a mistake. It's not the end of the world if they get it wrong.