Skip to main content

Reply to "High school baseball."

baseballmom posted:

A few things you ought to be teaching your son:

1. Baseball is a TEAM sport.

2. There is no "I" in TEAM.

3. Coach is the boss of the TEAM. Your son works for COACH when he is between the lines. JV is giving him reps, play time. Be thankful!... He's learning &/ or polishing up some life skills, like patience, perseverance, persistance...and mostly TEAM building.

4. Because COACH is BOSS, it is HIS job to win games by utilizing the players that give the TEAM the best opportunity to WIN. 

Is your son learning to be a TEAM PLAYER

Relax...This is Fall of his Freahman year. He needs to be focused on his own development. Mentally, in addition to skills development. 

You need to be focused on providing him the means to his end...Nothing more! Teamates that are older, with better skills are good examples for him. Be thankful he has 2 available mentors. 

I really don't like this logic,

Baseball is not a TEAM sport, they are 9 people out on defense and one in the batters box, each have their OWN responsibility, there may not be "I" in the team but definitely "ME" can be found!  YOUR performance are evaluated, YOU are looked at, and YOU are offered, either JV/V,college or MLB.  Only thing that's recorded as TEAM is the collective of wins/losses, but generally it's taken by an INDIVIDUAL, the pitcher.

A team can exist without a coach, but a coach needs a team to exist!

On another note, if the OP's 5 tool metrics are the following:

60 time, under 6.6sec.

Capable of hitting homers

and hitting above .500

throwing velo on the field 90mph+

an no errors on the field.

Then no reason to play JV, call Scott Boras, otherwise he has potential to be a 5 tool player!