Skip to main content

Reply to "High school baseball."

baseballmom posted:

A few things you ought to be teaching your son:

1. Baseball is a TEAM sport.

2. There is no "I" in TEAM.

3. Coach is the boss of the TEAM. Your son works for COACH when he is between the lines. JV is giving him reps, play time. Be thankful!... He's learning &/ or polishing up some life skills, like patience, perseverance, persistance...and mostly TEAM building.

4. Because COACH is BOSS, it is HIS job to win games by utilizing the players that give the TEAM the best opportunity to WIN. 

Is your son learning to be a TEAM PLAYER

I don't like this mentality. You never really feel part of a team unless you're playing. So until you're starting or getting meaningful time it's not the same. Ask a bench player and the starting SS who the championship meant more to. I'll put the farm on the SS. When a coach says we need to play better, he means his regulars need to play better, not the 4 guys at the end of the bench who have a combined 10 ABs on the season. When coaches say everybody is equally important, they're lying.

If you're unselfish to the point where your goals and work matters less than the team, I would have to question the motivation. So yeah be about the team, cheerlead and go about your business, but don't become content because that is what is best for the team. Why would I care about a team I'm barely part of? Why would I cheer for players who are directly in the way of what I want? I like a me first mentality until you're part of a team and it's time to win some games. Maybe that is selfish, but maybe you need to be selfish to get ahead. That is the competition within the competition. Think Aaron Rodgers feels a stronger connection to the team now or when he was sitting behind Favre?