Skip to main content

Reply to "High school baseball."

ConcernedPapa posted:

Unfortunately people aren't reading the details.  The varisty team is 9 -12 strong. D1 power 5 verbal commits.  I never said he should start.  I expected he would play JV, but our jv team is not well run . Not much teaching or reps.  When it came  to tryouts my son was objectively better than all than maybe 5 of the kids.  I would love for him to play JV and practice with varisty so D1 MIF can mentor him,  and he can get more teaching reps. I would hope the HC would want to develop him that way, rather than send him down and practice with far less talented kids and maybe not quite as good instruction.  This is not a case of my kids great deserves....its about how to develop players. He will not stay down not get as many reps or as good instruction for 1 and maybe even 2 years behind upper classmen just because of year. I could say this about another boy or two in his class as well. For all you crazies chiming in with 5 tool / not a 5 tool guy  He runs in the 6 s. Throws and exits in the mid 80s,  with a SS glove that can always get better.  

I think people on this board have a better understanding than you are giving them credit for.  It is a rare HS coach that is thinking about developing younger players at the expense of upperclassmen. It is even more rare for upperclassmen to mentor a freshman that may already be better than they are. It is even more rare for a JV program to be well run and provide meaningful practice reps. So I think the conclusion I have come to is that your expectations aren’t realistic. Not that there is anything wrong with what you are wanting, its just not gonna happen.