Skip to main content

Reply to "High school baseball."

ConcernedPapa posted:

Unfortunately people aren't reading the details.  The varisty team is 9 -12 strong. D1 power 5 verbal commits.  I never said he should start.  I expected he would play JV, but our jv team is not well run . Not much teaching or reps.  When it came  to tryouts my son was objectively better than all than maybe 5 of the kids.  I would love for him to play JV and practice with varisty so D1 MIF can mentor him,  and he can get more teaching reps. I would hope the HC would want to develop him that way, rather than send him down and practice with far less talented kids and maybe not quite as good instruction.  This is not a case of my kids great deserves....its about how to develop players. He will not stay down not get as many reps or as good instruction for 1 and maybe even 2 years behind upper classmen just because of year. I could say this about another boy or two in his class as well. For all you crazies chiming in with 5 tool / not a 5 tool guy  He runs in the 6 s. Throws and exits in the mid 80s,  with a SS glove that can always get better.  

You called your son a five tool player. People on this board expect five tool players to start varsity and be D1 recruits. 

Since you’re new to the board I’m going to share a piece of advice you will see often here. You will see it so much you will start noticing every time professional athletes say it ... DON’T WORRY ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN’T CONTROL.

Your son gave it his best shot to make varsity. He didn’t. Now he has to play JV. His job is to overwhelm JV ball to the point where he deserves a shot on varsity. You job is to not “big time” other JV parents with your “better than their son” player. Be part of the group. If you hear crazy, delusional stuff program yourself to respond, “uh-huh.”

My son didn’t become a better player at JV practice when he was a freshman. He became a better player with all the reps we did on our own and playing for a top travel team. All JV ball provided was an avenue to prove he should be on varsity the following year. But he knew that. The coaches knew it. 

if you don’t learn to handle this situation you’re going to need a padded cell when college recruiting comes around.,

Last edited by RJM