Skip to main content

Reply to "High school baseball."

ConcernedPapa posted:

Unfortunately people aren't reading the details.  The varisty team is 9 -12 strong. D1 power 5 verbal commits.  I never said he should start.  I expected he would play JV, but our jv team is not well run . Not much teaching or reps.  When it came  to tryouts my son was objectively better than all than maybe 5 of the kids.  I would love for him to play JV and practice with varisty so D1 MIF can mentor him,  and he can get more teaching reps. I would hope the HC would want to develop him that way, rather than send him down and practice with far less talented kids and maybe not quite as good instruction.  This is not a case of my kids great deserves....its about how to develop players. He will not stay down not get as many reps or as good instruction for 1 and maybe even 2 years behind upper classmen just because of year. I could say this about another boy or two in his class as well. For all you crazies chiming in with 5 tool / not a 5 tool guy  He runs in the 6 s. Throws and exits in the mid 80s,  with a SS glove that can always get better.  

Look...you are digging yourself a bigger hole. I went back and reread your posts and the problem is not us reading the details, it is you failing to provide details, other then how good your son is. You never said that the varsity team was 9-12 strong with D1 P5 commits until the above. You did not say he should start but you did said he was "clearly right behind the 2 MIF's" so that would make him the 3rd best MIF on the team. You did say that 4-5 players, who will never play in games, made varsity. You said your son was a 5-tool player as a freshman (in 3+ years of visiting this board, I have never heard any parent say those words, let alone the parent of a HS freshman). My son (soph in college) has 4 current teammates who are projected to get drafted in the top 50 in 2020 draft with 1 of those players projected as a top 2. I have never heard anyone label these players as 5-tool. 

These forums are hands down, the best source for all things related to playing amateur baseball and you start off your experience here with a question that you already have answered and looking for others to support. That is not how things work on this board. You are going to hear about our experiences and we will answer your question based on those experiences. There are also coaches, former coaches, scouts, former scouts, players, former players, etc. who know far more about the game then you or I because it was or is their life's passion! As I like to tell our players, always have a growth-mindset!

As for the the "crazies" comment, you might want to reevaluate who knows more about what it means to be a true 5-tool player!