Skip to main content

Reply to "High school baseball."

Between daddy ball at the younger ages, to money grab at the showcase levels to politics of HS baseball, I'm shocked any of us enjoy this ride.

If you do your due diligence this stuff typically doesn’t happen. If the player is in the top third of the roster talent at the school this stuff typically doesn’t happen. If it does talent quickly self corrects it.

i had two kids take the journey. Both came into high school playing three sports. Both played college baseball/softball. I never experienced daddy ball with them, they went to all the right recruiting events and one got cut from basketball because the coach didn’t like his players not focused all year. The only two sport varsity basketball players I remember over eight years became pro athletes in their other sport and could have played college basketball. In other words they were too talented for the coach to stick to his “basketball only” stance.

Many parents make the mistake of thinking their kid is getting screwed. Often their kid is in competition with another player. In the coach’s view the other player’s skills will be more helpful to the team effort. At the same time the parent is evaluating their kid’s skills and seeing them at 150% of reality. 

You're not going to enjoy the journey until you get proper perspective. Right now you appear locked and loaded for excuses and blame.

Last edited by RJM