Skip to main content

Reply to "High school baseball."

Father’s coaching isn’t always bad. But it’s a red flag to check out. I organized a very successful 13u to 16u team with four dad coaches. I was the head coach. My son played short at school. He didn’t win the shortstop job on this team. I figured as the most athletic kid he could play wherever position the pitcher came from. None of the coach’s kids got any favors. Our team attracted daddy ball victims. There were other teams like ours I knew weren’t daddy ball problems.

Once at 14u you’re not going to fool kids anymore. They’re getting baseball savvy. They can see BS when it exists. It’s why there’s so much team changeover after 14u. Coach Daddy who can’t coach isn’t fooling anyone anymore 

I wasn’t into raiding teams. But one weekend we had off my son was asked to play for a team with a daddy ball reputation. They were having roster problems. I told my son to spend the weekend selling our team for next year to their best player. 

At 17u dads typically don’t have college contacts unless they’re in the game at some level. When my son was asked to play 17u at sixteen I folded the team. 

Last edited by RJM