Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Baseball - JV vs. Varsity for Freshmen"

CTbballDad posted:

"Your son not playing in the next three years will send a message to your school" 

I think many parents, through transfers, re-classing or playing in some alternative league, believe this is true.  I believe it's quite the opposite.  Out of site, out of mind...no meaningful message will be sent. Next man up!

I know many who went this route and it didn't turn out how they hoped... 

Up here in Wisconsin, a lot of the top players take part in the Hitter's Spring League (with the ability to play games indoors during bad weather). That league also sends teams to play in the Perfect Game Spring League in Iowa (Iowa high school Baseball is in the summer).

For years, Wisconsin had some high school teams play in the spring & some in the summer.  Now that they switched to all Spring (can't figure out why, they probably think they are competing with travel ball, or they are counting on global warming, but due to bad weather a Wisconsin spring season ends up being about 4-6 weeks long) I thought most of the top players would play for their high schools, however the Spring League has lots of great players, D1 commits, top JUCO commits, etc etc from WI, IL, & Iowa.

As with most things in life, having options is a great thing.  Keeps people honest, and forces people to provide quality experiences.