Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Baseball - JV vs. Varsity for Freshmen"

Francis7 posted:

As a parent of a freshman who made varsity, I can share this one item. What was amazing to me was how much everyone else has eyes on my kid. Every time I run into someone, they make some comment about him being on varsity, or on something he did in a game, his condition, playing status, etc. 

The microscope is real and it is always on. 

I get it. The parents of freshmen and JV are annoyed because he bypassed those levels. The parents of juniors and seniors are ruffled because their kids had to wait 2 years and he didn't, etc.

There is over 40 kids in the program. Yet, so many are laser focused on him.  Meanwhile, I couldn't tell you what position their kid plays or if he even plays at all.

Don’t you think you’re being a bit dramatic? It’s hard to imagine it’s this intense in a program that’s historically mediocre (you’re definition). 

Yes, there are cliques of parents. They prefer to see another parent of the clique’s kid play over yours. They’ve been hanging together at games since kiddie ball. Yes, the other parents of kids in the same class wish their kid was on varsity. But they could see last season who was starting to fast track. The scrutiny ultimately comes down to can the kid play and help the team?

People who cared asked how baseball was going for my son. They were typically parents from other sports who knew baseball was his priority sport. I never paid attention to the mumbling in the distance. 

Last edited by RJM