Skip to main content

Reply to "high school baseball participation has increased in last 5 years"

Dominik85 posted:
RJM posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

Wow....okay so female "Rowing" is down 58%....and yet it's offered at D1 schools as a Varsity sport with 20 scholarships available....excuse me I have to go check my daughter out of school and figure out where the heck to go rowing.

I believe it was after a mother told me she didn't realize how easy it was to play a college sport that I nearly committed my first homicide. 

Women's rowing is the only place I've heard of this occurring. And it doesn't happen at many colleges. I assure you in Boston and Philadelphia anyone rowing on a scholarship is recruited. Head of the Charles and Dad Vail are the largest rowing regattas in the country. They're also huge parties that are a lot of fun.

If anyone thinks rowing is easy try to get into a single shell without help.

Yeah physically rowing is super tough at high levels. The last minute of a race you are dying because the lactate is so high. It is basically start fast and then slowing down as little as possible for 6 to 7 minutes or so. Not a fun thing.

It actually sounds like a fun thing.  My daughter is going to be very tall. I lucked out with her brother, at 6 he picked up a baseball and never looked back.  It's harder finding her a sport and it's important to me that she play one, but there is time.