Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Baseball Politics"

Originally Posted by Golfman25:
Originally Posted by onthefly:

in this case coach has a regular job and by either a lack of knowledge or interest does not develop any of the lower level or fringe players as freshman either you are good at 14 or never play. truly only. about 9 or 10 kids every see any action from year to year. so if your not in that group at a young age you must get outside help to improve and possibly move up which almost never happens at this school. my son had some very correctable flaws according to the academy i took him to but was never worked with by the coach. I thought freshman level an jv to an extent, was still a point were development should occur but I was wrong.

No way is it possible to "develop" a kid during the HS season.  We just started, with the first game in 2 weeks.  Then average 3 games per week thru May.  Add in the coach/player ratio and it just isn't happening.  The better players tend to work outside of the program. 

I have to respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree.  As with anything, people tend to make statements as it regards their own personal experiences.  I understand that.  But let's also understand that it's not the same everywhere.

Around here, there is a fall season which last a couple of months, then offseason conditioning and workouts, then the spring season, which lasts from Feb-May or June.  In essence, the only time the kids aren't working out with their HS teammates is during the summer.  Of course, some of them play within the same travel organizations, but they are spread out quite a bit.

Bottom line, HS baseball is WHERE they develop, travel ball is where they SHOW what they've developed...as college recruiters can actually get out to see a bunch of games.    Hence, and why it's called "showcase baseball"!

Last edited by GoHeels