Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Baseball Politics"

Exactly, being bumped from freshman to JV, he is clearly in the top 9 but a team can still be very good with the top 8 or 7 apparently.  My son doesn't want me to complain but I feel I paid a lot of money (our school is pay to play) to see him play one inning or none at all.  
Originally Posted by Golfman25:

Very nice post by Coach2709 (nice pic too). 

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out.  There are a lot of "bad" coaches (HS and Travel) -- coaches who play favorites, politics, friends, etc.  When you end up with one of those, it becomes a nightmare if you are not a "chosen one."  We as parent need to be prepared to explain the unexplainable to our kids.  The problem is the "work hard" speech only goes so far if the results aren't there or you're stuck with the guy for several years.  Imaturity and frustration sets in (including the parents). 

I have been there and done that.  My kid play basketball for one of these.  Although he was easily one of the 5 best, he didn't start.  Two "chosen ones" started.  One kid who apparently had "all the moves" in practice and one who was a "friend."  They provided nothing of value durring the games and we got killed.  My kid eventually did work his way into the rotation but it was still frustrating.  He would come in after the first several minuites and play half to 3/4 of the game, while the "starter" sat and watched.  The sad part is that the "starter's" development was affected because since he was a "starter" he could not play in any "B" games.  IMO, that is just not good coaching.  Then at the suggestion of the "friendly dad" the coach went with a different lineup (I know because I am friends with the dad) -- smaller and quicker.  For the last few games, my kids minuites went down to zero -- until one kid didn't show up because of another sport and another fouled out.  Net result -- a lot of big losses.  At the end of season gathering, the "coach" actually stood up and claimed it was about "development."  I laughed, shook my head and left -- fortunately we had baseball practice to go to.  My kid's attitude and confidence had been destroyed.  My kid went on to a travel team which actually was about development.  He became much better and evetually by the end of the season was the "go to" player to take the game winning shot (which he missed, but had a great look).  His confidence restored. 

Long post, but there is a point here somewhere.  As parents, we need to have an honest assesment of our kids talent and work ethic.  We have to preach that the coach is "the boss" and is making the right decisions in his view for the benefit of the team.  Sometimes there just isn't a fit but their is always another season and another team if it truly is BS.  Good luck.