Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Coaches Involved In Process"

Dad04......I have respect for your first hand experience in the recruitment of your son.

I also have anecdotal experience that is first hand experience, not only from the recruitment of my own son, but also from talking to high school and travel coaches regarding approximately 2000 potential players in the past twenty years.

When some of you recommend to "Leave the high school coach out of your recruiting plan", you are truly generalizing due to your one experience. The reality is that all high school coaches are not like the one your sons have had.

You are right that summer/fall coaches have a higher percentage of players go on to play in college than high school coaches do, but in my twenty years as a college coach I have discovered that for the most part, summer/fall travel coaches come and go.....they tend to stop coaching when their kids go on to college......please note that I am not saying all of them do.

Since I became a college head coach in the mid 80s, the percentage of guys who were coaching summer/fall travel teams then AND now is significantly smaller than the number of high school coaches who are still around. Those guys who stick around have much more experience working with college recruiters and scouts than the ones who move on after a few years.

I have seen a lot too......from high school coaches, summer/fall coaches, and parents.