Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Cuts"

CD kudos to you. You can't keep everyone happy. Your compassion for players is just that. Bottom line is HS baseball is about winning. In my prior post I addressed what a freshman should do and prepare for.

Preparation was the key for my son being able to make the team. By no means is he stand out...yet. He has been blessed with a power left handed stick, good coaching and access to top notch facilities in so.cal. He was able to get in 6th period baseball, believe it or not, by me showing the head varsity coach game clips. After that it was a go. There are nights where I don't want to go to the diamond or facility, but I know how far he has come along now, and it's full speed ahead. The freshman is a cage rat. Went through this before and there was no way I was sending my son up there with butter knives. Had him play varsity summer ball and 16u travel ball on Sundays. He was prepared and ready before freshman orientation.

Parents need to know things move fast in HS sports and we all know how important first impressions are. You have to give the player a chance to succeed. Don't expect desired results if the work is not being put in. It's not fair to any parties involved. It takes parents that get it and more importantly, players with passion, dedication, hunger, and commitment.☺