Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Cuts"

Go44dad posted:
Go44dad posted:
coach2709 posted:

How does a bigger school handle who gets into the class?  Lets say it's a school that will have 2000 total students and you have 50 at tryouts.  Are kids who know ahead of time going to try out definitely able to get in the class?  PE allows larger numbers into their classes but it's hard to see 50 kids to one teacher in a baseball class.  Like I said I like the idea of this but it's got me curious to the logistics of it.

Let me ask my kid, if he's talking to me tonight.  He just lost a close basketball game, may not be up to an interview on how things work at school.

OK, after a couple "dunno's" and "whatever's", here is some detail.  School is around 2200 students, and in largest classification in Texas.  There are five football teams, 2 Fresh, 2 JV's, Varsity.  Lots of the baseball kids are in football. Once you are in football "class", they don't let you switch to another sport "class".  Kids are in it for the full year.(The kids can play the other sports.)

Also five basketball teams, freshman son stated at the beginning of school that he was going to play baseball and basketball.  Not a lot of baseball kids play basketball, maybe 4 or 5.  Until the start of basketball season, he went to baseball one day, basketball the next.  Once basketball started, he's in the "basketball" class.  When baseball starts, he will move to the "baseball" class.

There are two baseball classes.  One is for freshman and a couple of the lesser ability sophomores, the other for kids that have been on the baseball team (and are not in the other sports).  There were around 20 kids in the freshman class to start the year.  Some went to basketball, a couple were told they didn't have a chance to make the baseball team, and moved to some other class.  Any kid can get in the freshman baseball class if he talks to the coach at the beginning of the year.  I assume there is a "Tennis" class, "Soccer" class, etc.  Unless you have been tattooed as a football player, you can move between classes when you finish one sport and start another.

Kids are in the baseball, basketball or football class all year long.

Make sense?

Ours is exactly the same as this with no switching and not sure it makes sense.  The rationale was that they didn't want the counselors to have to alter so many schedules midterm.  There was some waffling about if they get cut will they get moved out of the baseball class into a regular PE.  I don't know the answer to that yet.  I think a significant number of the baseball kids played football and there were less cuts in the first semester as the coach isn't sure the football players will come out for baseball.  I think the kids in football over the Fall may get more out of those workouts than being in the baseball class as they got preferential use of facilities, weight room etc.