Skip to main content

Reply to "High School fall baseball"

in our area, there's usually a fall league, not affiliated (wink wink, nudge nudge) with the high schools.  the teams are, mostly, populated with kids from one hs each and they are coached by the hs staff. last year, as a freshman, my son was not allowed to play for his hs but got the ok to play for their rival up the street (I get it.  the coaches don't allow freshmen from their own hs to play for them bc they "haven't made a team yet" and they don't want any appearance of impropriety, come spring cuts).  long story short, he balled out against his hs, the three times they played and made a name for himself.  

this year, there's "workouts".  the hs's have been cleared (public hs's) to hold workouts on campus in cohorts but they hadn't been ok'd to use equipment until a couple of weeks ago. they were also not supposed to attend these workouts if they were on another team (another sport or a travel team).  I'm not sure what the value of conditioning for six weeks, four months before tryouts start is but...whatever.  my son is playing for his travel team so he hasn't attended.

the fall league teams that normally happen are working out but they're not playing any games. just practicing.  think field of dreams before shoeless joe asked ray if he could invite more guys and they could play games.

for travel, we're playing double headers every week in the area.  good to get game reps in against teams we know nothing about. could be a bunch of dudes or a bunch of duds.  we've seen both.