Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Jr. Recruiting Advice"

Coach sends out a bunch of emails to every player they have on their list.

Coach continues contact with those that respond. Coach stops contact with those that do not respond.

I was sitting in the players lounge at a local college a few years back while working a camp. The HC asks one of his assistants if a certain player had responded to their contact yet. "I have not heard back from him yet coach." The HC responds "Forget it don't send him anything else. Any kid that doesnt have the common courtesy to respond back we dont need to pursue any longer."

Initial contact many times is a simple email , questionaire , basically seeing who responds. Getting contact information etc. Then it works from there. Camp invites to those that respond. Coaches checking sources on players that respond. Getting feedback from those they trust on those that respond. Knowing who to look for at certain tourneys. Knowing where to look to see those players. Talking to the coaches listed on the information listed as well as other information listed as well.

By not responding what are you saying? I am not interested in your program. By responding what are you saying? I am interested or I could be interested in your program.

You have no way of knowing how much they already know about your player when you respond. Maybe the first thing they do is look at Perfect Game Crosschecker to see if your son has a PG rating? Maybe they call your sons HS coach and ask about him? Maybe they contact the scouts that you list that have seen your son play? Maybe they know someone in your area they trust for an evaluation? Maybe you show up at their camp and they can evaluate your son? Maybe they are working someone else's camp your son shows up at? The list goes on and on.

I always felt if a coach took the time to send my kid or one of my players an email or a questionaire it was only the right thing to do to respond in kind. Maybe that school he is at right now is a school you would never consider. But maybe he moves to another school during your sons recruiting time line that you would be interested in? Maybe coming out of HS your son would not consider that school. But maybe he wants to transfer down the road and you have built a relationship with this coach and he is at a school you would now like to consider?

What in your gut tells you is the right thing to do? Then do that. That usually takes you in the right direction. Good luck