Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Jr. Recruiting Advice"

quote:
Originally posted by nyparent:

PHASE 1
Respond to EVERY email or letter
Pursue the schools that your son would want to attend if baseball wasn't in the picture
Be prepared for schools to enter your son's life next summer who you never heard of on Sept 1st.
NEVER argue with or show up an umpire, he may be your ticket to a scholarship

PHASE 2
Late next summer, when your son continues to get "camp" emails, I have a solution. Return the email by asking them if they want to be put on the list of schools for unofficial visits. Inform them that you are winding down your selection process and want to see if there is interest in a visit or if its simply a camp invitation. Ask if they have seen your son play. All emails should come from your son, not from you. Right away you will know if they want to see him or if they want your $395. If they see that he is visiting other schools, it might give them a stimulus to find information on him so that they don't miss out on what the others schools are seeing.

NY Parent,

Very good advise. We had followed PHASE 1 thus far and continue to look into more possible schools as what you said that those who had initial interest may fade. We are still continuing to be active in Fall and will participate in the PG Nationals and AZ Senior/Junior Fall Classic. One good thing that happened to RR23Jr is something clicked in his mind and started studying really hard. Getting Good Grades and preparing for SAT/ACT is a priority as well before his spring season gets underway. From advice here, Good grades and ability will open more doors.

PHASE 2 will be next Summer.

Good luck to all my fellow 2012 parents and thanks to all 2011 parents and beyond for all advice.

Let's remember Midlo Dad and Coach Merc for Jupiter next year! I was thinking of going in late October but it coincides with the Junior Classic. When RR23JR is a Sr then he will be more ready to explore Jupiter.

RR23