Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Jr. Recruiting Advice"

quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
quote:
Originally posted by nyparent:
First thing, congratulations to you son for receiving an email on September 1st. This time last year we were in the same boat that you are in now. It is a very exciting time for you and for your kid. The timing of the email does generally show more interest than a generic email but please take this whole early period with cautious optimism.
One thing that was said to me last July/August seemed unbelievable, but now has come to fruition. USUALLY, the early schools will not even be on the radar when the time comes for commitment.

As an example, I remember when the first emails and then the first letters came. My son neglected to check the mail that my daughters had brought into the house and there was a letter from a very nice D1 in Florida. He was elated, and read every word of the letter to us. He completed their information sheet that night (1am), AND completed their online profile. He received a few followup responses as well. The assistant coach even turned up in Jupiter at one of his games. Suddenly the emails and letters stopped. The assistant coach took a head JC job. The rest of the staff wouldn't even return an email. Sucks.

There was a good mix of D1 and D2 during this time. I can honestly say that NONE of the early schools were around this summer. During the process I received a fair share of emails to my account as well, somehow. I think when he was in 9th grade and brought up to varsity, he may have been put onto a list and my email was used. It amazes me how much the Purdue, Creighton and Virginia staff wants to see him at a camp, still to this day!

What we did was take the advice of the many members here. There are too many to mention but Coach Merc and the guy with College Select and the Cleveland guy are a few that come to mind.

My son found schools that he had an interest in and contacted them also. He did the requisite PG events and got his rating. He was persistent in his emails and follow-ups as well as playing for teams that were at well attended events. He was able to get the schools that he was interested in to come and watch him play. The school that he was most interested in (major D1) didn't work out for him. It was probably a combination of his size, (6-1 160), age (Oct 1993 birthday) and ability. A school that he, my wife, and myself had a great interest in for other reasons (low level D1), worked out VERY well, and it was all a string of good luck. The stars lined up perfectly.

After being persistent in returning all emails and information sheets, he was able to get a few coaches to his games. At a few games we were worried because I didn't see who I wanted to see at the games. After those games my son would receive an email detailing his performance. ????? later in the summer an offer came for an unofficial visit where the scholarship offer came. It turns out that the assistant coach at this particular school knows practically every umpire in the state of North Carolina. During 2 tournaments in North Carolina, he received a detailed report of my son's performance for the games when he wasn't in attendance. That is what sealed the deal for my son, in the coach's eyes. It wasn't just the PG rating, it wasn't just his East Cobb performance or his BCS performance. It wasn't his high school performance, because he never saw a HS game. It was a combination of factors. They found someone who they wanted on their team.

We ended up with a school that is an outstanding fit academically, socially, and athletically. They are crazy about him, he is in love with them, and its a 1 1/2 hr plane ticket away. I couldn't have asked for a better fit.

So, my advice after being so long-winded?

Respond to EVERY email or letter
Pursue the schools that your son would want to attend if baseball wasn't in the picture
Be prepared for schools to enter your son's life next summer who you never heard of on Sept 1st.
NEVER argue with or show up an umpire, he may be your ticket to a scholarship

Late next summer, when your son continues to get "camp" emails, I have a solution. Return the email by asking them if they want to be put on the list of schools for unofficial visits. Inform them that you are winding down your selection process and want to see if there is interest in a visit or if its simply a camp invitation. Ask if they have seen your son play. All emails should come from your son, not from you. Right away you will know if they want to see him or if they want your $395. If they see that he is visiting other schools, it might give them a stimulus to find information on him so that they don't miss out on what the others schools are seeing.

And thank you to Coach Merc and the other oldtimers here who have given such valuable advice. I am now returning the favor to other parents in my area. I direct them here and also post my experiences on the local NY website, www.calledstrikethree.com.

One of the very best posts I have ever, ever seen here at the hsbbweb

If you were referring to me as the "Cleveland guy" then thank you for the compliment.

Why was your post so good?

You've laid out the blueprint for what we stand for here at the hsbbweb. Many come here and whine when their phones are not ringing and you did exactly what my son and I did - we recruited them. No silver spoons here. No that is beneath us. Sheer determination. Mind over matter. Having a dream, coming up with a plan, and relentlessly executing it until the dream comes true. Like someone said, the best dreams are those that happen when your eyes are wide open.

Your post alone makes this a golden thread and I so nominate it. Thanks for taking the time and welcome to the hsbbweb!!!!!!

Yes, it was you. I didn't remember your exact screen name when I was writing but I did remember many informative postings in the past.

Thank you again.