Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Jr. Recruiting Advice"

As a Junior, it is time to get rocking and rolling. Before you blink it will be senior year and 3/4 of the scholarships/ roster spots are already "taken".

I was very persistent when I was trying to get recruited a few years back. I went to 5-6 showcases and made sure to email and call coaches whenever I thought they might be in the area. I knew I had to impress them on the field, but I also knew I had an advantage if the coaches remembered me when they were watching me play.

Finding a school is a lot like a finding a girl. There are lots out there, all offering something different and at times it can seem like a daunting task. What always calmed me at night though was I knew I only needed one. I didn't need 7 scholarship offers. I needed one.

It is an important fact to remember b/c you don't need to be the kid getting recruited by every SEC school. Real, genuine interest from a few northern schools where you can play and get accepted is enough.

Ken Jacobi

Author of “Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School, and Life as a Division I College Athlete"