Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Jr. Recruiting Advice"

Hello Tom,

As the author of this book, I do not think it is fair to simply write a one line critique saying the book has a cynical slant with nothing supporting the statement. There is much more going on within the pages to state such a black and white analysis of it. I 100% respect your opinion, as you are more entitled to it, but the purpose of this book was to share with people a very common story that occurs at colleges throughout the country every year. For every person who says this is too cynical or bitter, I can offer 10 emails from players, parents, and coaches who have emailed me sharing their "Going with the Pitch" story. At times this book is "cynical" but there is a direct purpose to that.

We are all big fish in small ponds when we enter the collegiate level and it is very difficult for many student-athletes to adjust and find success at the next level. I thought all too many times that college baseball was glorified ( granted as it should be at times ) without addressing all of the business, politics, and trials and tribulations that go with it.

Do I think at times I was "mistreated" at school? Perhaps. But I have never been bitter, or as you say cynical, to my experience. I know I am better and more mature because of it and am thankful it gave me the avenue to share my story.

If I have any regrets about my time at college it is that I was only becoming the player I knew I could be when my time was up. That is partly my fault, partly my supporting staff. I do think that if I had known some of the lessons in which I discussion the book AND was handled in a different manner the results could have played out differently...but again, I was never going to be a Major Leaguer so ironically I am actually grateful for the experience I went through.

With all that being said, I would actually love to start/host a forum ( even maybe chat session we can "advertise" ) where we can discuss these types of things. I think a lot of people would be interested in the discussion and would allow a very open forum for discussion. Would you be interested in working together on doing something like this?

Regards,

Ken J

Author of “Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School, and Life as a Division I College Athlete"
Last edited by GoingwiththePitch