Skip to main content

Reply to "High School Junior (Velocity Max)"

My advice is don't worry about it. Believe me, as a pitcher myself, I totally understand that in a sense, "velocity is king." And it's very tough not to be concerned with the velocity of your every pitch, but looking at your numbers it seems like they're pretty good and above the curve for most guys your age. What I mean when I say "don't worry about it" is this...what exactly can you do to affect the numbers on the gun? You can work as hard as you possibly can to get yourself in the best shape possible to increase that velocity. That is all you can control. If you do that and you gain more velocity, awesome (most likely you will..how much? there's too many variables to accurately say yes or no) but if you stay where you're at (not likely considering your age), well then you can't control that either. By conscienciously or subconscienciously putting your focus on velocity, other critical aspects of your pitching will inevitably suffer...that's just how it works. Focus on hard work and getting better at something everyday..and most likely velocity will come. But you are developing a work ethic that will always serve you well down the baseball road, especially with your mental confidence.
Last edited by pro97