Skip to main content

Reply to "High school: pitcher only or pitcher and position"

Well, for sure it will make things cheaper.  If all the fielders also pitch - kind of like our high school teams - 11.7 scholarships would more than cover it.  I hope no-one tells the NCAA this.

The reality is that with 35+ players, most teams can find their best 6 pitchers and their best 8 hitters/position players and have them be different people.  If sometimes they are the same people, then they are.

The question is, will more college coaches, at all levels, recruit players by telling them they can try two-way?  It's very appealing to some players.

i have no doubt that coaches will play whoever they think is going to win for them. The thought process here indicates the same coaches who for generations now don't use 2 way players, because they believe they have a better chance to win with specialties, are going to change their minds and now look to promote 2 way players.

I guess this is possible but based on history I don't know that i would expect to see a large movement this direction. I am just looking at history here, there could be a boatload of players in the upcoming generation that  change everything...