Skip to main content

Reply to "High school: pitcher only or pitcher and position"

@PitchingFan posted:

My son is officially a two way player but never got an at bat last year.  He was in the ondeck circle three times but crazy circumstances kept him from it.  2 double plays and a pitcher getting hurt and had to go to bullpen and get ready real quickly.  He is the only switch hitter on the roster.  He still takes BP including at Omaha and still hits some.  He worked 3 hours a night on it his freshman year but last year decided being a better pitcher was what was going to get him on the field so he put the extra time in pitching.  Hit enough to be ready.  We have one who actually did it but only pitched 5 innings all season.  I just don't think you will see very few who will do it very often and when I say very few I'm talking less than 1% of all D1 college pitchers who will get significant innings and at bats.

I wouldn’t consider a position player who pitches a handful of innings a pitcher. He’s an emergency pitcher who likely pitches mop up, save the staff innings.

I wouldn’t consider a pitcher who gets a handful of at bats a position player. Chances are he only pinch hit a handful of times. I believe the former is more likely than the latter.

Like you stated, when your son realized pitching would get him on the field it became the focus.