Skip to main content

Reply to "High school: pitcher only or pitcher and position"

There are 299 D1 baseball programs. At 35 players per roster (actually more currently) there are 10,465 D1 players. There would have to be 105 two way D1 players for the number to even be 1%. I wouldn’t call 1% a trend. I’m not sure I would call 5% (525) a trend.

When I started this thread I was trying to get a feel for how many pitchers only there actually are in high school. It’s very common for the best pitcher to be the team’s best athlete, best hitter, best arm and therefore also the best pitcher. Being a two way in high school is very normal.

My son’s 17u team had two two ways. One wanted to play both ways in college. He was recruited as a two way. He never touched a bat in a college game until junior year when pitching didn’t work out. The other two way was a willing innings eater who enjoyed pitching but wanted to be a position player in college. When he started drawing attention for his pitching he requested not to pitch anymore unless needed to eat innings in local scout league games.

Almost all of the position players pitched for their high school teams.